Tuesday 21 January 2014

How i started writing stories in magazines?

hai all...

During childhood tamil weekly magazines were the time pass and source of current affairs. But a child only likes jokes and I also did the same. Later when reached age 10, started appreciating drawing by various famous artists in the weeklies for stories. They were Jay (oviyar jeyaraj who was the tamil nadu govt's artist to draw in text books for school children), Ma.Se (Maniam selvan, he still works for weeklies), Ars etc. These were the days I used to think 'hmmm, how nice it would be if they draw for my stories!'...but that feeling left when I neared 10th and +2 as marks, engg college admissions, job were on the nuts!

Later when joined MIT, the alumnus 'sujatha' wave striked me the way it strikes any MITian. Sujatha, an MITian, was a famous tamil story and novel writer who later wrote for many movies and achieved fame (his actual name is Rangarajan, and he wrote on his wife's name). But this also did not make any difference to my life that time.

Once while traveling in train I was getting bored and happened to read a pocket novel left in the seat. It was a family story. After reading I felt, 'I can also write like this!'...with the same thoughts I reached home, took a paper, and thought 'what should I write?'. Then I felt I should first decide the mag, the style they want, 1 page story or many pages, what should be 'kathai kalam', characters...like this so many things splashed...

I felt I must write to a mag that is the No.1 so that maximum people will read. So, Kumudam was decided. Then took a kumudam and went through what type of stories they publish. Selected the short stories of two page type. Then when I thought what should it be about, what came to my mind was my PSG Teach days...the buses that run from Gandhipuram to Neelambur in Coimbatore, 'the mecca street of education', covering all the schools and colleges of the city. We used to call these buses as 'Love Chariots' as almost all loves started inside the buses in this route (of course, I went by bus,only the first day, and started going by cycle thereafter...of course, today if I think about that journey, I am sure every college student would long for such journeys (winking)!).

While deciding the name of the author, I felt I should go with the trend like pushpa thangathurai, sujatha rangarajan etc..i.e a female name and male name...so, I took my mothers name and added a part of my name...athivinayaki Subramanian...

So, took a paper, recollected the trend of stories read in kumudam, then wrote a story based on these bus journeys, gave it to my few friends to read, (I will give their comments later!!) and sent it to kumudam. I bought few copies but could not see my story and forgot about it. After many months (those days no mobiles) when I happened to talk to Shiv Shankar, my friend who read it and regular reader of kumudam, said 'dei, unnoda antha kathai has come in print, I read it few months back, I thought you would have read!!'. Wofff...thereafter I had to run around from pillar to post to a copy of that and felt nice to read.

You want to read that??????....just wait!

rams

No comments:

Post a Comment